View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 03:18 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
1. Russia and Bulgaria have probably on of the most complicated relations between slavic nations. For example Bulgaria fought on the side of the Nazis in WWII then swaped sides in 1944 to name a recent example. The bulgarian xenophobia I don't really get is full of ignorance. I'm not talking about all bulgarians. But this kind of attitude is there. The "we don't like russians" part is pretty laughable. If the regard the soviaet era, why russians? We didn't have only russians in the Soviet Union. It's the same if I'd mix up bulgarians and serbs for some reason. In my experience most bulgarians who talk like that can't really explain what they actually don't like about russians.

That's not accurate. First of all why Russia again? And then I could not really see it in different eastern europaen countries. There is abig difference between politics and ordinary people's life. In most case the national culture and tradition actually prevailed over any political ideology from above.

2. I would consider Czechs and Slovaks eastern europeans.

3. It's NOT cold enough in most of those countries. Still there were good hockey schools in the Soviet Union which just fell apart after the breakdown of the Soviet Union. Latvia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan are the ususal suspects. Well Latvia is too small a country to become a real force, but they a doing well now with Dinamo Riga in the KHL and a formidable national team. Kazakhstan and Ukraine pretty must lost everything there was regarding their hockey schools and will have a tough time coming back. Kazakhstan of course lies mostly in Asia. Still the have the potential, but it would take a lot of time and money now. Ukraine is too warm and a football crazy country. There are ppl now trying to work on their hockey future, but I don't see them succeed big time in the near future. That's the countries with soviet hockey roots. Other eastern european countries dont' really have the tradition, mostly because of the climate.
Nope we´re Central Europeans through and through Geographically there´s no way either can be considered Eastern European. Historically we share much more with Central Europe and a few decades that everyone remembers right now are not going to wipe out hundreds of years of history. And even if you want to take the most recent history and politics the development in the CZ/SK and the other Central European countries is somewhat different than in Eastern Europe/Southeastern Europe. As for hockey (at least in the years when it became popular in Czechoslovakia) the climate was much much more favorable to hockey than it is in Southeastern Europe.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote