View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Frankie Spankie

vCash: 500
Far Cry 3 - 8/10

Hmm, where to start. This is a game I should have loved but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've been hoping for a FPS with lots to do and I heard from quite a few places that this is Skyrim with guns. There is admittedly quite a bit to do outside of the story but what's the point of doing it? Hunting is a cool idea but really annoying after a while. It becomes a necessity because who wants to run around with just one gun and two magazines? I did love the idea of having animals all over the place so you have to worry about more than just the enemy but they almost forced you into hunting just to be able to carry a reasonable amount of gear and that put me off big time. The platforming was just **** IMO and made radio towers a very tedious chore. The side missions weren't fun and had absolutely no impact on the game, they really couldn't think of something more creative than "go kill this poacher with your machete?" After the first couple, I didn't even bother with them anymore.

The only side thing I enjoyed about the game was attacking outposts. The stealth is done pretty well for a FPS that doesn't focus on stealth at all. I actually liked the stealth a lot in this style game. It was a ton of fun attacking outposts from any angle and finding which way to go in to create chaos. I wasn't one to run around trying to silent takedown people, I set up strategic C4s and generated chaos and killed everybody, often times not being spotted at all, and that was a ton of fun. It was probably the most fun I had in the entire game.

Regarding the story:
Spoil:
The story was OK. I really didn't like the magical stuff that was going on with Citra. It felt like they tried to make the game realistic and just threw in this weird tribal stuff only a couple times just to make it interesting. I did really enjoy the characters, Vaas was incredibly well done as was Hoyt, Sam, Willis, etc.

It's the little things that bothered me about this game though. A lot of the stuff was just that, stuff to do, it wasn't fun and didn't impact the game at all. The story missions were incredibly linear and was basically go from point A to point B with pirates trying to stop you the whole time. It was a beautiful game but as beautiful as it was, it just lacked a lot of depth when it came to missions. Not the game of the year for me, probably top 10, but eh, it was fun, definitely not as good as many make it out to be.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote