View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Kevin Forbes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Stat line is a baseline. Viewing can also be considered a baseline. Plenty of first round busts based on "expert" opinions and "viewings".

I hope Frucale goes somewhere mid-first round as several "experts" have him slotted. That means someone else is pushed down when the Hawks draft and btw, they need goaltending.
I will give credit to some of the work being done with advanced statistics and how that can be used to predict and understand success.

But that's not being done here. The post I quoted as simply comparing Fucale's standard stat line with some generic line in the sand that the poster made up of what defines "elite" goaltending. It's done without context and without consideration for the reality of the situation. It is, in a word, stupid.

That's my issue here. A stat line isn't a baseline, because on it's own, it's almost completely worthless for comparison. In order to get an accurate view of the player and his potential, you either need to bring in a helluva lot more information or you need to actually watch the player play.

To say something like Fucale should not be considered one of the top goaltenders of his age group because his save percentage is below .900 is completely idiotic.