View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 11:40 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
A) If not him, there's guys like Diouf who are good and can finish, but aren't stars on Lewa's level, and that's the type of signing I expect.
B) The service at Dortmund is different than the service at Mainz
C) I don't really think too highly of Szalai either, but he's been a talented player who just hadn't put it together before this year, so who knows, if he keeps it up for the rest of the season this could be the breakout point in his career, and Dortmund have unearthed diamonds when replacing their stars before, Lewa himself was a sloppy finishing backup to Barrios before breaking out.
a) I think Dortmund would set their sights higher if they got a good fee for him given there aren't really any other holes outside of maybe GK / full back to fill in the team, you can't replace a top striker with an average striker, not if you want to challenge for the title anyway IMO. I'd love to see them somehow get Dzeko, would be very much worth the investment.

b) Of course it's different, but it's not like Mainz have been bottom of the table all the time and struggling all the time, they've constantly been mid to upper table, yet he couldn't crack more then 4 goals a year is worrisome, and despite a good half season, Mainz will ask for quite a big fee for him given he has lots of time left on his deal.

c) Yes Lewandowski was raw and sloppy when he arrived, but he already had outstanding pedigree before arriving being the undoubted #1 striker in Poland at such a young age. I don't think the same can be said for Szalai

But we'll see, I'm not convinced yet that a Szalai would be a solution for Dortmund.