View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
This is where I completely disagree with most posters on here. No, O'Reilly has not had only "one good season." He's been a consistently good defensive player since coming into the league. Last year was a breakout year, but it's not like he was a mediocre or crap player before that. He just became a force at both ends of the ice. Like it or not, Duchene had a setback last season, and he acknowledged as much. O'Reilly has taken steps forward every year he's been in the league.

While I think the bridge offer is fair, I think it's silly to say that Duchene and O'Reilly have been relatively equal in their development thus far. That's why I don't think comparing the two contract-wise makes any sense. The only reason I think the bridge deal is fair is because it comes with the implied promise that if he proves to be as dominant a two-way player as we think he could be, he'll be paid handsomely upon the conclusion of that contract.
Duchene has a significantly higher offensive ceiling than O'Reilly has. Work effort and compete level can only take you you that far. Most likely O'Reilly will never hit the 67 points Duchene did as a 19 year old. Perhaps if he is paired with elite wingers.

Even if it may offend the O'Reilly camp, there are question marks about what kind of consistent offense he can provide at the NHL level. Wanting to see more of what he can do before committing to a long term deal is a reasonable stance.