View Single Post
Old
12-17-2003, 04:40 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I also have to say that we didn't get robbed. Look at the big picture.
Everyone who is a Flyers fan always complains that we go out and get the old guys who are in the twilight of the careers. Now, we finally get a young guy (23) who can score a lot of goals for us. He's a good player. He's an offensive player. Most people have complained that Gagne is stuck on a defensive line and now with Comrie here, he may be put on a line with Willy and Comrie. That's two offensive lines and 2 checking lines and when Lappy comes back that just adds more grit and some scoring. You get a guy like Fedoruk off the ice who hardly scores at all. The Oilers just got rid of a huge goal scorer for them. Adam Oates is hardly a replacement at 41 years old, we all know that.

Comrie will sign soon. Clarke says he has talked to Comrie after the deal was done and he seems very excited to come to Philly.

From the Flyers website:

Quote:
Question: Then you haven’t even talked to Comrie either?

Clarke: “Yes, I talked to Mike this afternoon. He was excited about the deal. We told him to get used to the idea that he’s with the Flyers and we’ll talk to the agent tomorrow and get started and see if we could get something done.”

Another good question on how he will fit in with Hitch's system:

Question: Did anyone raise any questions in your organization about his defensive ability? Is he going to have to work a little bit to fit into this system?

Clarke: “No, I don’t understand why. The style of game we play, other guys who haven’t been considered great checkers have had lots of success in it. I don’t know if he’s a great checker or not. He’ll be fine. He’s a right-handed center man who is extremely intelligent on the ice. He can score. He can set up plays. He’s got a chippy-ness to his game. Our guys love him and so do the coaches. He’s played for some of our coaches on several Team Canadas and they all really like him.”

That sounds good to me. With Comrie coming here, to me, that kind makes Primeau trade bait or expendable, pick which one you like. Clarke knows the age of a lot of the guys here and is looking towards the future. One possibility is that if Comrie comes and in and does well, Primeau could be traded to a team like WAS or any other team out there for a goalie or d-man by the trade deadline. Clarke has made some dumb trades and some good trades. This is a good one. In the early part of the season, he is known for pulling a trade out of nowhere and it works for us. I liked McGillis but he didn't fit in with Hitch's system. Rags does fit and he has played ok for us. We still have a wealth of young talent in all of these guys:

Johnsson, Gagne, Williams, Handzus, Somik, Sharp, Vandermeer, Seidenberg, Pitkanen, Sami (he's only 30), Esche and then you have guys like Carter, Richards, Nittymaki, Chouinard, Randy Jones, Laux, Slaney, Alexander Drozdetsky (10g, 8a in in 32g), Colin Fraser (11g, 17a in 35g for Red Deer), Pavel Kasparik (8g, 11a in 32 games), Konstantin Rudenko (6g, 6a in 22games), Stefan Ruzicka (20g, 14a in 31 games), Colin Shields (8g, 6a in 14 games), Alexandre Picard, Rosario Ruggeri, and lastly our goalies:

Rejean Beauchemin
Prince Albert Raiders WHL 33 19 10 2 4 2.25 .914

Bernd Bruckler
University of Wisconsin WCHA 14 7 3 4 0 2.42 .911

Dov Grumet-Morris
Harvard University ECAC 9 4 4 1 1 1.67 .941

Chris Houle
Trenton Titans ECHL 8 5 3 – 2 1.64 .949

Antero Niittymaki
Philadelphia Phantoms AHL 16 6 5 3 2 2.17 .921

David Tremblay
Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 24 17 5 1 3 2.39 .918

(All info is from the Flyers, Phantoms and Hockeysfuture websites)

In conclusion, the future looks bright.