View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 01:25 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I have a question about the contract situation of Jaškin. When his season in Moncton finishes he will be 20, does that mean if we were to sign him and put him in Peoria for the rest of the season then we burn a year of his ELC?
You mention age 20 so I'm going to assume you're referring to the NHL-CHL under-20 agreement. That doesn't apply here for 2 reasons. First off, that rule only applies to players drafted from the CHL. Even though Jaskin is playing in the CHL now, he was drafted from the Czech Republic so the rule never applied to him. He's been eligible to play in the AHL since he was 18. Secondly, even for a player the under 20 rule did apply to, there would be no problem with him signing an ATO (amateur try-out) to finish this season in Peoria. He would not have to sign an ELC and have the first year of his contract count if he played a few games in Peoria yet this season. It would burn the first year of his ELC (once he signs one) if he were to play for the Blues this season but that's not going to happen.

Long story short, if Jaskin's season with Moncton ends early enough, I would expect the Blues to try to get him to Peoria for the rest of the season and it wouldn't burn a year of his ELC to do that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen because Moncton will likely last pretty long into the QMJHL playoffs (and who knows, might even make it to the Memorial Cup) while Peoria is looking like they'll miss the playoffs entirely so I wouldn't be surprised if by the time Jaskin is done with Moncton, Peoria's season is already over or just ending.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote