Ryan Suter (A) - Justin Faulk
Ryan McDonagh - Keith Yandle
Jack Johnson - Brooks Orpik
Dustin Byfuglien

Goalies (x3):

Jon Quick
Ryan Miller
Cory Schneider

- The forward group is pretty straight forward in my mind. The need to take veteran, character players like Drury and Langenbrunner isn't there anymore. That will leave aging vets like Malone out of contention for this squad. There's some young forward talent to follow like Galchenyuk, Miller, Palmieri, Kreider, Saad, etc. but they'd have to really stand out offensively to be in play. Pominville will have to keep his hot hand going for awhile and play in the WC if he's available to endear himself to Burke and co. again. Stastny, Pominville, and Oshie are the only forwards on my team I don't consider locks at this point. I'm hopeful Colin Wilson can keep going as he's looked great so far this year and that Derek Stepan can turn it up to increase the competition at center. Others I considered: Blake Wheeler, James Van Riemsdyk, Colin Wilson, Derek Stepan, Erik Cole.

- The defense is going to be a real crap shoot. Suter and McDonagh are my only absolute locks and I think JJ is a less safe lock as well. Justin Faulk is already a top pairing d-man at 20 and it's only a matter of time before he's a superstar - he's already good enough to make this team. I'm not sure they need a riverboat gambler in Byfuglien but I think his shot, versatility, and size will intrigue USA staff. I'll put him there now but there's going to be a lot of challengers for his spot. I'm most interested to see how Bogosian plays when he returns. He's still so young and made HUGE strides in his game last year. If he keeps that up, watch out. I think any of the d-men I list here could be there but Erik Johnson is the one guy on the hot seat for me. Being a good d-man in 2010 was enough but it won't be in 2014. He needs to turn the corner now. Others I considered: Kevin Shattenkirk, Matt Carle, Paul Martin, Zach Bogosian, John Carlson, Erik Johnson, Cam Fowler.

- Five goalies in play with Quick, Miller, Anderson, Schneider, and Howard. Anderson is playing great but unless both Miller and Quick are really struggling in 2014 I'd suspect they'll look to Schneider (assuming he's a starter and playing well) for the third spot since he's younger. Either way, it's a good problem to have.

"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 02-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.