View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
Not every defenseman picked in the first round is going to be a top-4 guy. I'd be VERY pleased if Schmaltz can be a top-6 D man with a great PP. The guy was a late first round pick, I'm not sure what you guys were expecting. Even defenseman picked in the top 5 like Hedman and Bogosian are not even top-4 D-man.

Schmaltz is very intriguing, and I like the future of seeing him compliment Petro and Shatty. This year's draft it's time to add another forward.
No, a bottom-pairing defenseman with a 25th overall pick is a draft failure, period. I would NEVER expect a bottom pairing defenseman with a first round pick and it would always be a bad pick if that happened.

Regardless, the Blues explained that the reason they picked him was because he's a top-4 dman. That's what they said when they picked him. If, 7.5 months after the draft, he's no longer got that potential it's a bad pick.

However, 7.5 months after the draft there's no reason to assume he's only a bottom-pairing potential player. I kind of think he'll either be a top-4 guy or won't be in the NHL.