View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
MIL OIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
One area where management has failed this year is adding an elite respected veteran. Reason why Detroit organization has been successful is that they've had elite players like Stevie Y, Lidstrom, Federov mentoring younger players like the Datysuk and Zetterberg. Now its Datysuk and Zetterbergs who are mentoring Flippula and Brunner. Key is there consistent mentoring going on.

Our mentors aka Horcoff, and Smyth can only relate so much to our young kids because they lack that elite level talent. Advice coming from Horcs compared to Stevie Y is taken differently due to the greatness of accomplishments of one to the other. Its been a real long time since we have had such elite veterans but doesn't stop you from adding via UFA.

My point being it would have been nice if Tambo would of added Jagr this offseason. Would of gave us three solid lines but more importantly a future HHOF that our elite talents could learn from.

Messages gets across a lot better when its coming from a veteran such as Jagr. Or when you see Jagr respect his coach, training staff... etc. It teaches the kids the professionalism that it takes to acheieve success. Ales Hemsky might be the last guy off the ice with a veteran like Jagr, because I could see Jagr challenging him to be better. Taylor Hall might learn less is more, pass and move, let the puck do the work. Nugent-Hopkins may realize the value of getting pucks to the net.

Its something management should be looking to address. Winning is contagious. Comes from players that have been succesful.
This is 100 percent true. Lack vet present big time. I find this board to be a little harsh the oilers are far from the worst team in the league and have the tools tonbe great. Taylor hall isn't some bozo running around out there either. He has insane speed and scoring ability and alought sometimes inconsistant, is a top 6 forward on any team.

MIL OIL is offline   Reply With Quote