View Single Post
Old
02-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
Basically when the season started, I was pessimistic because I figured:

- The Desharnais line was going to regress. Cole is a 25 goal scorer far more than a 35 goal scorer.

- We'd spend another year searching for answers on the Plekanec line. Did not buy into Bourque bouncing back at all.

- Our small defence would be a MAJOR problem as time goes on.

- With a hectic schedule and our usually injury problems, we'd be ravaged by injuries. And we all know how short we are on depth.

#1 has happened, but it's even worse than I imagined it would be. That line has become a black hole at 5 on 5. The Gally's emerging for 2 weeks helped cover up this problem for a few games, but this past week their scoring dried up and we all know what happened.

#2 has not happened and Bourque has been fairly good, but even then, Gionta has been a disappointment since the NJ game and Plekanec usually starts off hot then settles into his customary 0.7-0.8 PPG range.

#3 was masked for a few games by the ''overload'' defensive strategy, but it's becoming more apparent by the game that opponents have figured how to counter it. You also have our biggest and most physical defenceman (Emelin) putting together an absolutely abysmal stretch of games recently.

#4 has not happened. Yet...

At the end of the day, this remains a team in transition. It's nowhere near a finished product. Fans need to remember that and most importantly, management has to remember it. 2014-15 is the earliest the window can open and that is if MB aces his trade/UFA signings with the cap room we will have this summer and/or likely the summer after that AND another wave of our prospects is in the NHL by then AND Galchenuk quickly becomes a #1 C. It's quite possible we're looking more at 2015-16.