View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 12:53 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
1. I think the major question should be: "is Markstrom better than Theodore?," not "is Markstrom better than Clemmer?" If Markstrom is going to play, I want him playing the majority of the games, not even splitting time. Is he that much better than Theodore right now?

2. We've already established the backup isn't going to play much.

3. Theodore is a free agent at the end of the year. He's an asset. If the team is bad at the trade deadline, Theo could be traded for a pick. I think we can all agree that this team isn't elite. If the team is mediocre/average, I'd rather have Theodore getting the majority of the starts. Get something for him at the deadline and then the Markstrom era would begin after that, anyway.

Are we really expecting a rookie goaltender to be the difference in a season?

I'm not denying that he's better than Clemmensen or even better than Theodore, really. He probably is. But, how much better? Right now, we have the worst goal differential in hockey. A rookie goaltender is not going to solve all (or most) of our problems.

The same two goaltenders we have now were the main reason we made the playoffs last year. Wouldn't you agree that they're better than their current #'s indicate? Wouldn't you agree that you're probably just overreacting to a small sample?

Goaltending isn't even our biggest problem, sorry.

What about Versteeg? Weiss? The golden boy afraid to shoot the puck, Kulikov? Our biggest free agent signing, Filip Kuba? These guys have been underwhelming to downright terrible and they're supposed to be our best players.

It's not a good thing that our most noticeable player on most nights is 21-year-old rookie, Drew Shore.

Goaltender is not the most important position in sports. If the team in front of the goaltender is not good enough, the goaltender can only carry a team so far. Carey Price, Ryan Miller, Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, etc. are all pretty good goaltenders, but they still need a team in front of them to succeed, and they really don't have it.

Saying goaltending is our biggest problem is an oversimplification of things.

You're basically using a 5-game sample size to prove your point. Of the 5 games, you admit Theodore played very well in one. The win in Buffalo we'll disagree on because I thought he played well. Either way, you're basically saying it's the biggest problem because of a bad 3-4 game sample size?

What happens when Markstrom has a couple of poor games in front of this inconsistent team? Will DGM be the new savior?
Lets face it. Theodore doesn't have much left in the tank. He can't handle being a workhorse goaltender anymore which is essentially what he has to be right now with an inadequate backup like Clemmenson on the team. And at $1.5 million, nobody should be complaining that he can't handle a 60 game pace. The Markstrom experiment needs to start ASAP.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote