View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
I'm sure you're familiar with the THN lists. On their Top-60 since 1967 (2007), they put Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur up with Mark Messier, Steve Yzerman, and Ray Bourque. They put Dominik Hasek down with Bobby Clarke, Paul Coffey, and Larry Robinson. Though with a different panel, these three players were placed similar to each other in 1998 (#24, #25, #29) - quite a bit behind Sawchuk, Plante, and Hall.

A more recent list in 2011 had Hasek behind all of Sawchuk, Roy, Brodeur, and Plante - but ahead of Hall. So they're not "claiming Hasek was overrated," but then again, I don't believe they have had a reaction to HFBoards at all - which as far as I can tell is the only place that had formerly placed him #1. So if the media or insiders do not know that someone is claiming Hasek to be the best of all-time, I can't imagine anyone would have written a piece arguing against a position that from their perspective, no one seems to have. But in recent months, some have claimed that he wasn't as good as Niklas Lidstrom in terms of best European players, so there seems to be a definite difference in the perception of Hasek here and elsewhere. The same can be said for Scott Niedermayer and Mark Messier.
Thanks for that. I really am not familiar with the TNH lists. And I get The Hockey News!

I did hear on the Tampa Bay broadcast this week (playing the Devils) color analyst Bobbie Taylor suggest Martin Broduer could go down in history as the greatest goalie ever. Play-by-play man Rick Peckham replied "no could about it".

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote