View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
I'd like Boyle to be playing a Craig MacTavish type role most of the time. Every once in a while, he'll have a great game in the offensive zone like we saw against Toronto (yes he ended up scoring a goal, but I'm talking more about having the kinds of shifts that led to the puck deflecting off him rather than actually scoring). Those shifts have been too rare for nearly all of this young season and much of last season.

Most concerning, though, is the lack of shots this year. In his banner season, he had 4 games out of 82 without a shot. Even last season, he only had 7. This year, he's already had 4. It's an indication that his offensive zone play has fallen off. And although this is a team stat, this year he's been on the ice for 4 goals against on the PK. In all of last season, he was on the ice for 10.

All of that said, in the proper role, I like Boyle on this team. He is a good PKer. He is a good faceoff man, the best on the team unless Miller keeps it up. He's a great presence on the bench and in the locker room. I really hope the benching gets his head back into the right place. He's a smart guy. I think it will.

What's hilarious is that a lot of people think I'm a Boyle-hater or basher. But last year, the thread about Boyle was to trade him and I was one of the most vociferous against it.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote