View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 05:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
These are rich men who want to use their money in a way that makes their hearts pump and their pulses race. Many of them haven't really earned their fortunes through business prowess - in a lot of cases, they were just handed these business enterprises by the government for a song. A lot of their business enterprises are relatively mundane in comparison to the prospect of a thrilling hockey game. This isn't just true in Russia - a lot of major sports franchises around the World are owned by rich guys who want to be part of the spotlight and have their money be associated with something that is fun, and has winners and losers.

I also think some of the Russian owners think that it is a way to help build sports glory in Russia. They see that Russia as a country has the basic tools to be a hockey powerhouse, but believe that it will never fully happen as long as Russian players are just part of the NHL apparatus. It things pan out, then there will a greatly increased demand for Russian hockey talent, and Russia does have the unique capacity to greatly increase its production of great talent, given the vast areas of the country that are undeveloped or underdeveloped from a hockey standpoint. And of course, they are gambling that further development of talent will pay off in the form of greatly increased interest and an expanding fan base.

As i said earlier, much of the KHL's future success will depend on their ability to sell the KHL to the domestic population and the consumer spending power of the average Russian. There is no doubt Russia is the only even remote competitor to the NHL, but that will be dictated by the domestic economy, the government outlook on the project to remain strong for many years, and for the KHL to truely pennetrate the domestic market. For direct competition with the NHL, i think economics are without doubt the most important, and i don't know how that will look like in 40-50 years time. But if managed well the KHL can definitely become a hugely succesful sporting structure in popularity.

I would also say Russia is a hockey powerhouse .

As a side note, i can't wait to see what happens to Chelsea when Abramovich finally gets bored of it.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote