View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think we have a lot of young prospects but it's impossible to think that all of them will make the NHL. There will be some Kyle Beach or Justin Mapletoft types that simply won't be good enough. But I'm afraid that none will be impact players, enough to make the team better.

Nino Niederreiter might not be a 30 goal guy. What if he takes a Taylor Pyatt path? Will Ryan Strome be like Kyle Wellwood?

Brock Nelson could be Ryan Malone or JVR or Couturier or Joe Colborne.

Isles fans (especially) run the danger of assuming these young players will reach their max upside and contribute at a level where we WANT them to. But sometimes, young small defensemen (like Hickey) don't become Rafalski, they remain more like Nick Leddy or Brett Lebda or Bruno Gervais.

Ty Wishart and Griffin Reinhart and Chris Pronger and Erik Johnson share a lot of similarities and at one time, showed promise.

We don't know what we have, we only know what we MIGHT have.

Tavares is the ONLY Isles prospect since Lafontaine that came in and delivered as expected, and not even right away, it took 3 years.

If we want Yandle, the price might be something like Nino, deHaan and a #1 pick. Dreger believes the price for Kessel is about the same.
Would the Isles deal Strome, Okposo and a #1 pick for Kessel? Cuz that might get it done. But I'd imagine Isles fans would freak out at that price becaues Strome could be the #2 Centre we need and the #1 pick might be the next Jeff Skinner.
I agree. Ultimately, dealing a guy like Cizikas or Ullstrom won't yield us a high return. Those players are young, but likely will be 3rd line players. While a player like Nino or Strome have much higher trade value because the potential is still high (even on Nino.)

I think if the Isles deal it will be a center. Strome, Nelson, Cizikas, Ullstrom can all play center. We have 2 guys in theory to slot in as the #2 center. Strome and Nelson. I suppose one of those two will move to the wing, because are either going to be 3rd line? Maybe the plan is to have Tavares as the #1, followed by Strome, then Nelson, and then Neilsen. But that has problems as well. It lacks size other then Nelson. Plenty of skill, but where is the shut down?

Id like to see the Isles compete this season. And with 4 losses now, and being realistic, I never felt the Isles would make the playoffs this year. But I am not looking for the 1st overall either. I would like to see broader success start now so we can build on it for next season.

The Thomas move allows for the Isles to move Streit, Visnovsky or Nabokov or all 3 at the deadline. My guess is that Streit will be retained. Snow will want continuity, and the idea of going with so much inexperience on the blue line is not smart. I think Snow is prepared for that.

But, the Isles also need a vet someone who can still play for the next 6-8 seasons. Someone who has won it all. This is where I think Snow missed an opportunity. A deal with the Hawks after they needed to deal salary made so much sense. And as much as I like Matt Martin, if the rumor was true that a deal hinged on the Isles dealing Martin for one of Versteeg, Sharp or Byfuglin. Adding a player or 2 who can still play (not a guy with 2 years left) and who can settle the boys down is so key.

I am more inclined to see Snow make a deal rather than hinge it on UFAs. The UFA route has not worked, and if the plan is to be prepped for Brooklyn with the potential to win, players will need to be in place in the next season or two.

Anyone is available for a deal for the right price. Perhaps the lone exception in my mind would include Tavares, Moulson, Hamonic and Neilsen. I am less inclined to move Strome, Nino or Nelson as well. I would be more interested dealing an Okposo, Bailey, Donovan, Andres Lee type of player. These are guys who can play some, and a few have potential. Id consider moving Nino for the right price.

My goal would be to make a deal with a western conference team. I would not want to battle guys I trade for a playoff spot. Does a 1st rd pick, a 3rd rd pk. Kyle Okposo and Donovan get us a guy like Yandle? I think it would. Yotes fans would suggest it doesn't. So would others. But if you look at some of the deals made with marquee guys... I am always surprised at what is in the deal.

Voracek, 8th overall pick, and a 3rd, went back to the Flyers for Jeff Carter. My guess is if that was proposed by a Jackets fan over on the trade boards, they would have flamed him.

I believe, what would be a high 1st rd pick (probably top 10-12), a high 3rd and a strong d-prospect, and an established wing would likely yield a player like Yandle. Now Yandle would not address the Isles need for that vet "winner" but he would clearly lock up our blueline in solid fashion. To me that is the kind of bold move we need. Sure we give up a little bit of our future with the picks, and a member of what is our core, but a shake-up is needed, and this would give the Isles a swift kick. (A new head coach would also help)

Now we are all looking at Yandle, and thinking he's available but is he??