View Single Post
02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Sabres & Blackhawks
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I don't think you're going to get a legit, established top 6er for a guy who's been a healthy scratch this year.
Gerbe has some skill, he's small but he's strong for his size (I'm the same height, not a beanpole, and I weight 45lbs less), and he's pretty tenacious. He did score 16 goals his rookie year. He might be able to put up totals like that again if actually given the chance. He's just been stuck on Buffalo's 4th line.
Tallinder being a healthy scratch speaks more of the Devils' defensive depth than Tallinder's play. It's not like Tallinder is a bad player. The Devils just have too many defensemen who are playing better and Tallinder sits because of it.

Gerbe's a hard player to evaluate. He's already shown to be able to produce a lot in the minors and has produced some decent numbers in the NHL already too. It's just so hard to slot him into the lineup. There aren't many spots he's a good fit. He's got the talent and skill to be an offensive producer, a scorer, a guy that puts up points, but he's not gotten a lot of chances to prove he's a fit in the top-six. Instead, he's a bottom-six player currently which isn't a great fit either. He's feisty but while he has the speed and heart, not to mention can get under opposing players' skins, he doesn't have nearly enough size to be a checker or grinder. He tries to play a physical game and gives it his all but he just doesn't have that size and ability to play an effective physical and tough game in the NHL. He'll never be able to fill roles like Steve Ott and Patrick Kaleta do as legit bottom-six guys. Gerbe's defensive game is also sub-par. He simply doesn't have the size and strength to effectively defend and out-muscle many opponents. I think if he's going to have success, it's going to be in the top-six or nowhere and even there I don't know if he'll ever be able to really carve out a solid NHL career. He's been getting by in the bottom-six for his whole career and it's not a fit.

Honestly, I met Nathan a few years ago and he's a great person. But to be truthful, he's so hard of a player to figure out what to do with that I feel he's just wasting roster space here and would prefer to trade him if possible. I know he's a fan favorite because of his heart and determination and while those are all good things, those things can only keep you a job for so long (see Matt Ellis today, another player I feel the same way about). Not to mention this team has been small for years; if there's a way to ship him out in some sort of deal, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't be sad if he was traded. I'd feel bad, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I like him but as a player I think we're better off bringing a bigger, legit bottom-six player in to take that spot.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote