View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I agreed that the quote I pulled goes a little overboard, but the point was to show O'Reilly is underrated. They did factor in a lot more than just offensive numbers which I think you're discounting. The article mostly compared his impact to Pavel Datsyuk and Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron for Burns doesn't sound as crazy.

Comparing Burns' offensive impact to Erik Karlsson's is ridiculous. He's a talented player but Karlsson is 30-40 points better than Burns right now.*Burns isn't even the best offensive d-man on the Sharks.

I'm not saying we should do this trade (it hurts team chemistry, possibly puts Murray back in the starting lineup, etc) or that we would do this (O'Reilly signed with a KHL team during the lockout, which probably scares DW). O'Reilly would give us 3 of the best lines in franchise history. It would actually make our roster younger for future seasons and give us a contingency plan for the post-Thornton era (with Couture/O'Reilly as a 1-2 punch for years). Demers and Braun are then given more ice time to grow/develop while playing their natural position, RD.*
O'Reilly could play tough minutes too, freeing up Thornton (or maybe Pavelski for once!) to show off more of their offensive game. He could add a lot more to our group than "nothing," as you put it. Hell, the potential to go from Handzus to O'Reilly should be more than enough incentive.*
Pavelski signed with the KHL this year too. I dont think that would really bother DW.

But what would bother him is the fact that RoR is holding out. I would not be opposed about having him on the Sharks but not for Burns. Plus .. I am expecting him to want upwards of 4.5M/year.