View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Burakowsky is more talented than Hartman. Better upside. Of course, he's had a difficult season. The U-18's will be important for him.

Mantha does have these issues, but he has very projectable NHL qualities. It's a risk/reward, but given we have a plethora of solid two way forward prospects, it's a gamble with merit. I'm comfortable projecting Shore, Knight and Howden (With Shore being by far the best) as solid NHL players but who lack in some areas (I.e offensively).

Nichushkin i change my opinion on perpetually. He just dominated an U-18 event against strong teams. No player can offer the attributes he has at #20, but is the IQ there? The Russian factor doesn't really worry me. The flight risk is much greater than luring them over (For elite youth talents).

Agree on Erne. Happy after the elite forwards are gone on taking a chance on him.

Can't comment much on Horvat.

I'd be very happy with any of the top 5 Forwards. Prefer Barkov to Monahan largely because of offensive upside. Barkov has better puck skills and room for improvement in his skating. Drouin/Lindholm would be awesome too. Sure, they aren't tall imposing players, but their scoring abilities are exceptional.

I believe cases can be made for Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm being the best forwards down the line. Would be content with whoever from that group.

Other players of interest are Gauthier and Zykov. Physical players with offensive upside. Ristolainen would be my preference on D if we went that route (Excluding Jones obv). Hagg is inconsistent, but very interesting prospect.

Buchnevich would be a great gamble in the 2nd round and onwards.
I really don't know much about Burakowsky, but he seems to be falling on a lot of lists. If the draft were held today, I'd pick Hartman over him.

If Mantha was similar to the Getzlaf situation in '03, then I'd take Mantha from 8-15. But he's not that good. I think he'll find that he's not going to be anywhere near as successful at the next level if he continues to float and not put in full effort every game. There are a lot of other forwards in this draft who are just as skilled or more skilled as Mantha, some who also offer a similar package of size and braun. I wouldn't hesitate for a second passing on him if one of these other guys was still on the board too.

I think I echo your sentiments on Nihushkin. He has a package of phenomenal physical tools, but there seem to be questions about his hockey sense. Combined with the Russian factor(and I consider flight risk a part of this), he's not very high on my radar(for where we will pick).

I would obviously take Barkov and Drouin over Monahan. Probably Lindholm too. I guess what I'm saying is I hope we end up with a power forward as our first pick. We need more size and grit in our top 6. But for example if we pick #4 and Barkov has just been selected before us, then without a doubt we should take Drouin.