Thread: Trade Rumors
View Single Post
02-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
vCash: 500
With 12 players signed, the Kings have $15M in cap space in 2013-14. UFAs include Dustin Penner, Simon Gagne, Brad Richardson, Rob Scuderi, and Davis Drewiske. RFAs include Jonathan Bernier, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan, Slava Voynov, Alec Martinez, Keaton Ellerby, and Jake Muzzin.

Their only UFA in Manchester will be Anthony Stewart, and the team will have seven Monarchs who will be RFAs: Martin Jones, Brandon Kozun, David Kolomatis, Brian O'Neill, Andrew Bodnarchuk, David Meckler, and Stefan Legein.

So in total, eight UFAs and 15 RFAs. That's a lot of contracts, most of which will likely not be renewed. Of the UFAs, the only player I expect to return is Rob Scuderi. Of the RFAs, I anticipate most players to return, but expect Bernier to be moved and could see the Kings parting ways with Meckler, O'Neill and possibly Legein.

Let's assume the Kings bring Scuderi back at $3M and re-sign Voynov to a short term deal at $1.9M, Martinez at $1.2M, Clifford and Lewis at $900K each, Nolan and Ellerby at $750K each. That gives the Kings 19 signed players with roughly $6.5M left to spend. The 19 signed players include 1 goalie, 7 defensemen, and 11 forwards, so the Kings will have to sign a backup to Quick (if they haven't acquired one in the Bernier trade) and three forwards (if they haven't added any others via trade). One of those forwards will be a top six forward and one of them will be a spare 13th forward.

The big question mark is if the Kings will look to add one or two top six forwards, and if they think one of the kids in the farm will be ready to step in. Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson could both compete for a roster spot next season, as could Andy Andreoff. If the Kings see it fit, they could also make room for Linden Vey if they part with Stoll or Fraser.

All in all, the Kings' cap situation looks to be pretty good and gives Dean Lombardi some maneuverability to make some upgrades to his roster this summer. I would hope that he could inject the roster with some talent and speed as they need forwards who can create offense. The roster is over flooded with north-south skating forwards who lack creativity with the puck.