View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
I'll cover transportation:

If you're driving: Parking is MUCH easier than in Manhattan. You can get game parking in a lot from $15 to $25, depending how close to the Bell Centre it is. Street meters are a possibility with a little luck, and cost less (you can pay at any parking kiosk along the street using a credit card).

Aside from game-time, drive around town and see Mt. Royal, Old Montreal, the Olympic Stadium, etc. You should also just cruise east along Ste Catherine and watch the cultural tone shift from trendy stores to major shopping to sleazy strip joints to the Gay Village.

If you want a more artsy cultural feel, ask how to get to Le Plateau. A bit like Soho, the area is a nest of old homes converted to restaurants, cafes and clubs. Let your US flag fly and everyone will be happy to speak to you in english. Once you're in Le Plateau, our Little Italy is close by, a few minutes north. Some nice joints and less commercialized than NY's Mulberry st.

If you're flying: Best way around town is via Metro, a very simplified version of your subway. Clean and fast, but it'll make it a bit more difficult to travel beyond the downtown core, since most cool hubs outside of downtown aren't immediately visible when you get off at a nearby Metro. Metros are perfect for basic east/west travel downtown, but navigating gets trickier if you're going north or south to the cool neighbourhoods.

Based on your mandate of visiting every NHL city, I'll take a guess that you guys have a decent travel budget. If so, find a way to get to Old Montreal and find one of the many unique, upscale restaurants along St. Paul. The architecture and vibe are unlike any place in NY. It's beautiful in the summer, but end of March is still okay. Have a pre-game meal near the Bell Centre just to enjoy the gabbing with the gazillion people wearing Canadiens jerseys. I've seen the Habs in MSG and had an amazing time -- great venue and terrific fans. Never had a problem; I'm sure you won't. If you act like an adult you get treated as one.

Have a great time!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote