View Single Post
Old
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
For one, the Western Division would have 3 Time Zones, something of which I've heard that Winnipeg would prefer not to be part of (possibly also a preference of Vancouver, I don't know).
Secondly, it tosses Buffalo away from what it sees as it's main rival (even if Toronto doesn't feel the same). And for your benefit, if Toronto or Hamilton (especially Hamilton) ever gets another team in the area, then that too is a logical rival for Buffalo.
Thirdly, it's not truly a Canadian vs US separate fanbase thing as some of you make it out to be. Some of these border cities and their fans actually enjoy the across the border rivalry and think that it's cool competing with Canadian teams like Montreal and Toronto (the same would likely be true in Seattle with Vancouver, assuming Seattle also gets a team).
And related the above... That's Buffalo, Seattle, (Detroit would prefer Toronto over Chicago), and Boston which would all be happy to be in Divisions with Canadian teams.
Alright what you say makes sense, but I think the other way would work as well. New rivalries would develop and just because a team is out of your division it doesn't mean you will never play them. Infact less meetings would probably mean greater interest in the matchup.