View Single Post
Old
07-06-2006, 06:54 PM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
When I saw his last start on Monday night, I got a chance to hang out with Eric Duncan after the game and I asked him about Hughes regarding his pitch counts. He told me that they had him on a pretty strict pitch count his last few starts because they are having Hughes try and develop a CutFB to go along with the rest of his pitches.
His past few starts he's been held to about 80-90 pitches. I remember two starts ago, he was strictly throwing FBs with afew ChangeUps and working in his CutFB.
Althoug I didn't get a chance to speak with Phil on Monday night after his start, Eric told me they plan on letting Phil's pitch counts go up and let him stretch out a bit more after the Future's game.
The idea of this kid having a very accurate low/mid-90's FB the consistenly throws for strikes, a major-league ready Slider, an above average CB, a great Change-Up that's still developing as well as a CutFB is almost too hard to believe.
I've watched this kid since being drafted pitch in Tampa, Charleston and Trenton and he has me believing that he's the real deal. He isn't a future #2/#3 starter, he's a future ace. Something the Yankees have not since Pettitte. I didn't see Pettitte when he was Hughes' age but IMO...Pettitte was never a #1 starter. Hughes has "it".

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote