View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 03:27 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schism View Post
Kassian isn't guaranteed to be a first liner, but he is an example of someone who had faltered in their development and now appears to be back on track.

You're right, there are no guarantees with prospects, but I'll take the blue chipper who temporary faltered in development over two lesser prospects. At this point, with our team and prospect funnel, I think we need the highest quality/upside possible over multiple lesser pieces. Using the example provided, I'd take Johansen over Shore+1st (although I would love to get Florida's first, I think they will see some serious regression this year.)

In a vacuum, I'd probably take Johansen too, but the disproportionate value placed on Johansen by CLB would likely result in less overall value returned to the Canucks. Maybe that's more clear? And to be clear, I don't consider Johansen to be blue chip either.

It's what happens with these types of franchise centric picks. The draft no longer matters, but the organization remembers where they picked said player. How much they wanted to invest in said player. So that skews value.

With the nature of prospects being what they are, I'm in the Shore + 1st camp. If a player like Bjugstad can be traded 19th overall, and this is a strong draft, then I'm inclined to give the Canucks the chance to draft their own version of Bjugstad, so to speak. Add that type of prospect to a Shore/Petrovic, and I'm liking the overall package instead of banking on just Johansen to get back on track, but that's me.