View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
12345*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I'm surprised no one has via offer sheet yet. Look at what players are getting in unrestricted free agency aka the deal Zajac signed. We can debate who we'd rather have for the next 6 years between Zajac and Ryan O'Reilly but it's at least close. I know RoR is a RFA at the moment and the Avs want to give him a bridge contract but surely there's a GM that would think to **** with the bridge for a player with that upside. Paying for potential and a risk but a calculated and reasonable one at that.
And there isn't any team that would take O'Reilly over Zajac. Zajac is bigger, higher draft pedigree, has a better track record, scoring 50-70 points. O'Reilly has 2 x 26 point seasons and a 55 point season. There is not enough information to make an accurate assessment as to whether he is going to be a consistent 55 point player.

And clearly, based on the hold out, I think O'Reilly doesn't believe he can do it again either. Thus, he wants to secure his financial life using the 55 point season. If put up another 30 point prorated season, he would be pegged as a 3/4th PK/shutdown guy and would not earn more than 1.5-2 mil. At 55 points, he is likely to get 4.5-5 mil.