View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
OverpaidGrinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
So after two days of long hard work we have managed to: snow blow and shovel our 800 foot driveway which hadn't been plowed past 9 PM Friday (still had around 16 inches of heavy snow on the ground), chain saw a path through the 80 foot pine that rested across our driveway (blocking our only access to the road), identify where the sporadically thrown cable and telephone wires were for both our house and the house to the front left of us at the top of the driveway (some had been buried under the snow, others stuck under the tree and downed poles), got the wires to the side of the driveway, got the transformer out of the middle of the driveway (we cut the telephone pole right below where the transformer was and rolled that piece off to the side of the driveway), and got the generator hooked up to provide energy for the fireplace insert which blows the hot air from the fire into the main floor of our house. We also have the fridge, a lamp, the Foreman grill, and our four laptops hooked up so that we can have contact with the world (someone around the area has a wireless network that provides us all with 1 bar). Listened to the game on the radio while playing rummy with my brother.

A guy that National Grid had flown in from Texas came by to inspect the scene and said that this was the first major problem he had come across. The news is not good: when the tree fell, it snapped two telephone poles including the one with the cables that hooked up to the underground wires which connect to our house. He quite literally used the phrasing "you're on your own for a little while." If the underground wires have busted, we will be out of power until the Spring because we will have to wait until the ice in the ground melts to even be able to even get to the wires. He told us that first and foremost the telephone company has to come to remove the transformer, downed wires and the two telephone poles, and then install the two new poles and new wires. After this has been accomplished, National Grid can come to install the power cables however they have no intention of and will not be setting up the connection to the underground wires. Instead we have to find and pay out of pocket for a certified electrician to come and make the connection with all new wires (which could be awhile before there is an opening). After the connection has been made, the town has to come to inspect and approve the connection (which again, will take some time because of all of the other inspections). After it has been approved by the town, National Grid can then come back and they will then turn on our power (which will take even more time because of everyone else they need to do the same thing for). The best part of all of this is that since there has only been three customers affected by this, we're not priority for any of the above tasks. We have no idea if this will be covered by our homeowner's insurance. Making calls to the different providers is the main priority for tomorrow.

Haven't showered since Friday morning at 5:30 AM and I smell like an expired can of spam. Good thing we washed all of our clothes before the storm hit and had bought enough food to survive for a little while should something like this happen.

The roads in my town are absolutely horrible. Since the town decided to build a new multi-million dollar school, they didn't have enough money set aside and didn't prepare for snow treatment or removal. One of my buddies who plows says the town plowed once at the beginning of the storm and that was it - there was no sand or salt put down on the roads. It appeared as though the cars themselves had done most of the clearing all around town and had compacted the snow.

I don't expect to have a full functioning house for about a month at best. Both of my parents work from home (mother is an online retailer, dad is a director of new business and development for his company that is out of Cincinnati) and my brother has the opportunity to work from home in the event that it's necessary. I on the other hand have an 80 mile commute and no ability to work out of home due to security restrictions (paralegal at a law firm). This is going to be a long and expensive month, especially at $40 a day for the generator.

Edit: I'll be posting up some videos and pictures when I get the chance.
Wow!! That stinks..at least no one got hurt by the falling tree though.