View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Rally Donkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Really the biggest problem with Levi that most people that I talk to have is that he plays lazy. You hardley ever see him body anybody off the puck when they come into the zone, he would much rather poke at the puck then use his body to move a player off of it.
I'd like to see him get a lot more physical, too, but he's more effective with the stick than a lot of players are with the body. As long as a defenseman keeps the puck out of his net and gets it going in the opposite direction, he's doing something right in this league. I'd rather see an effective stick check than a failed attempt at a big hit especially when we can't always be sure we're goign to come up with a miraculous save in the crease. Remember all the times we've criticized kids for being out of position, chasing the big hits or rushing only to turn the puck over? We've seen him play a much more physical style in the past, but from a position and effectiveness standpoint, I'll take it. Although his point production is way down over last season, his plus/minus has gone up every year and will likely finish his best season ever in that category (+4, +10, +16, +20 and currently sitting at +17 with 15 games left!).

I'm rooting for the kid and expect big things down the streatch and into the playoffs. Lazy? Assuming he plays in all of the remaining games this season, Levi will finish his OHL career with 268 games played - second only to Joe Gaynor on the all-time list. He has already played in one more playoff game than Gaynor. If the Whalers can book at least eleven games in the playoffs, Levi will have played more games in a Whalers jersey than any other player in the history of the team. And that's a real possibility as the Whales have gone 11 and 13 games deep in each of the past two seasons. Frankly, I think he deserves a lot more respect than you're giving him.