View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
McCupofOil
Save Us McJesus

vCash: 500
Good thread idea OB....

MVP? (and why) - Dubnyk AINEC

Player who has surprised you with his play this season? - Dubnyk. I thought that he was unappreciated but didn't expect him to be THIS good.

Player who has disappointed you with his play this season? There are a lot but Petry and Smid have disappointed me the most. We need them to play like a top pairing and they have been far from it. RNH gets honorable mention. I'm happy with his defensive play but he needs to be more than a checking center for us to take the next step, i still think that the shoulder is bothering him.

Strongest area of the team? - Goaltending without a doubt and who thought that we would be saying that? The offense and defense simply haven't been nearly good enough.

Thoughts on coaching and system in place? - Krueger has been up and down but like a lot of the team, he's learning on the fly so too early to judge. I'm starting to think that coaching is the least of the concerns in the organization and i was one of the "Renney is the biggest problem" posters.

Positives from the Oilers so far? - Justin Schultz has been a god send. Dubnyk. Yakupov seems to be gaining confidence, Gagner has been a pleasant surprise offensively.
The team is 5-4-3 despite putting up many mediocre or putrid performances. That bodes well for them when a lot of the guys who are usually good break out of their slumps.

Areas where the Oilers need to improve? - Too many to name. The most important thing is that they need structure to their game, get the puck deep and have to get pucks to the net, it's not rocket science. They need to simplify their game and stop trying to be so cute in the neutral zone constantly.

Overall grade for the Oilers? D - They have had 4 maybe 5 decent (not great, decent) games. 1st Vancouver game, 1st L.A. game, 2nd San Jose game, Dallas game and 2 periods of the 1st Colorado game. The rest have been clunkers. The team needs to be a lot better if they want to make the playoffs or even get out of the bottom 5.

Revised season outcome for the Oilers (in terms of position in the NHL/West they finish)? - As it stands now, i see them as finishing ahead of Columbus and maybe Colorado or Calgary so i'll say 13th the way they are currently playing. Hopefully, my mind will be changed by the next quarter pole.

Last edited by McCupofOil: 02-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.
McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote