Has Gagner proven to you to be a legit 2C?
View Single Post
02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Originally Posted by
Pros and Cons
If this was a court case, closing arguments can also include:
1) Joe Thornton has never been on a Stanley Cup winning team (but Boston can forward all kinds of thanks)
2) Washington (even Chicago) seem to be at the top of the favourites to win each year, but fail to produce a steady # 2 big center year after year.
3) Anaheim have been off to a great start.....who is there huge guy down the middle @ 2C?
4) We have to stop comparing (and holding the bar up so high) to the Messier & Gretzky days (to now)
5) Defense wins championsips (great goaltending and superb special team play).
6) Creating a game system within the organization and on the ice will increase wins, when you surround the team with players who stick around, and wins create confidence (dangerous in the world of hockey, more so then a huge # 2 centerman)
Yep, I mentioned as well that Thornton never won the SC. Maybe its still coming. Great player, but the notion that theres one way to win is offputting to me. Agreed as well that some of this may be an ode to the Gretz-Mess days.
Yes, the reality of it is D and goaltending win championships. Not sure where this notion of shutdown D being integral got started or why.
Its really dangerous for an org to sacrifice good to great players to run some kind of preconceived script on what the recipe is. Better to keep adding quality players at every position and filling out the lineup. Sometimes those additions are innocuous picks and moves. Who thought the kidline was going to be great in 90?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Replacement*