View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 01:49 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Murray, Clowe, and Ehrhoff were 8th, 6th, and 4th round selections respectively. They had no expectations. The thought process should be if the team is able to pull out solid players consistently enough to not call it luck in the later rounds, the formula should be able to work in the first round and make the pick better on the whole of it. They are whiffing every time in the mid-to-late first area. If you call the late round picks something other than pure luck, there has to be some accountability for the first round failures and Burke has one success in the last fifteen years of drafting and that was Scott Hannan out of ten tries from mid-to-late first rounders.
I can understand a longer time to develop for some players. I can't understand the entirety of how the organization handles these selections. The organization obviously doesn't care about their results from this to do anything about it. I don't see any desire to improve this aspect nor hold anyone accountable for it. And that is exactly the attitude that the players take on in one form or another and for the most part, the organization enables that.
Initial response : really not ten tries. After all, discounting Hertl and Coyle is only fair since it is too early to tell.

Hannan in 97 - hit
Cheechoo (would be a first round pick today) in 98 - hit
Jillson (kind of) - bust
Goc - middling-to-hit; certainly his performance outside of SJ would suggest this
Morris - Injury problems; I give Burke a pass here
Bernier - middling
Kaspar - bust
Wishart - bust
Petrecki - bust
Coyle - too early to tell
Hertl - too early to tell

So of the 9 selections (as I have included Cheechoo), he has Hannan and Cheechoo as strong hits, Bernier and Goc as moderate hits, and Jillson, Kaspar, Wishart, and Petrecki as the busts.

Actually, that isn't a very encouraging record. Mostly, because the majority of busts have come in the most recent picks. This points to an organizational ideolgical mistake. I can point out Kaspar (size) and Wishart/Petrecki (defensive defensemen with size are never ideal first-round-picks). Even Bernier is not that great considering he was picked in a very strong draft class...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote