Thread: Vs#2 Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You wouldn't be saying yikes at using Mullen (a non outlier who came across his points honestly) if Brown hadn't conveniently missed 12 games and 20 points, getting him to 135.
But he didn't!

Quote:
Then it would be obvious that using him as the standard for comparison in a percentage system is a horrible idea. The fact that he "only" got 115 points makes it easier to dismiss his outlier status, regardless of the fact that he sat in the back of the bus.
He was NOT an outlier!

Quote:
The point of removing gretzky and lemieux is because no other era had players who dominated this much offensively season after season. If you keep them in, you hold the savards and hawerchuks to an impossible standard. So obviously you must remove them. The 1980s without those two, are fairly comparable to most other decades so it levels the playing field. But if we do that then their residual effects must also be accounted for.
Do you take out all of Jari Kurri's seasons when he played with Gretzky?

All of Paul Coffey's?

Kevin Stevens?

Where does it end?

Who decides?

Quote:
That said, from my end, all this discussion is geared towards having results that "work" and can be used as a shorthand. I think what most of us would like to see is a system where the number of players reaching certain benchmarks gradually increases over time. I did some quick formulas using the results in my sheet and how each season looks compared to how it "should" look on the time.curve, and it appears that from 1980-1999 the most unforgiving seasons, in order are:
I actually agree that as their are more teams, and outside other influences like war etc, their should be more players acknowledged.

However, my definition of a system is not one that you go picking through each year to make it look like you think it should.

Whatever is arrived upon should function well enough without any influence from the user and be as consistent as possible.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 02-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote