View Single Post
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
vCash: 356
The "soon-to-be" crowded blueline

Ok, probably a week or two away but pretty soon Gunnar and Gardiner are going to be with the big club.

My buddy emailed me asking what I'd do so since I already typed it out....

1st pair: Phaneuf-Holzer

*Phaneuf played some of his best alongsideRegehr, a big, tough stay at homer in Calgary. Holzer is big and tough, likes to hit, and scrums after every whistle. Hes a safe guy. See him against MTL sat? He was ALWAYS in a scrum. Let Phaneuf pinch a bit (when appropriate) and Holzer be the big safe dude.

2nd pair: Gardiner-Gunnarson

*Similar to first pair, tho Gunnar isnt as tough as Holzer while being better offensively. Everyone that plays with Gunnar plays well. He's very sound. Safe. Legit type of guy. Both guys can play heavy minutes too. Holzer's minutes have to be more sheltered. I think if ANYONE can transition best to the right side, it'd be Gunnar (yes I know Phaneuf likes the right also).

3rd pair: Fraser-Franson

Could be a solid bottom pairing duo, both are very big, Fraser very tough. Safe player. Franson has the shot. I'd put Franson on the PP instead of Holzer. Fraser is PK worthy. Fraser, to me, is one of those quiet guys every team loves to have back there.

There's a great mix of size (pretty much everyone) and toughness (again, everyone except maybe Gardiner). Skill is Gards, Phaneuf and Franson.

Speed MAY be an issue. Though Gardiner is fast and the 1st pair while be fine. 3rd pair can/may get caught but Frasers a safe dude.

7th man: Kotska

Low maintenance. Has show he can play heavy minutes, wont whine, wont complain, can play an offensive role or a defensive one (for short term). Can throw him into ANY pairing and he'll be ok. Cheap contract. 27 so he's been around.

Taken out back: Komisarek

Traded: Liles.

He's now redundant with Gardiner coming up. Similar skillset, though Gards is 9 years younger and $2.5M cheaper.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote