View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 01:50 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Kharlamov was known as a very good playmaker, so I don't really understand the Bure comparison. The comparison I've heard most often is "Guy Lafleur," but that makes a lot of assumptions. One is how well Kharlamov could have handled the more physical NHL. Clarke slash aside, Canada went into later series with the intention of roughing him up, and did meet with some success.
I agree he was a very good playmaker. As someone pointed out, it would have been interesting to see him play outside of a rigidly structured system. Who knows, he may have approached Lafleur like assist numbers, but how many wingers in the history of the game averaged 75 assists a year for an extended period? Jagr...I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. I think he could have handled the physical part of the game had he had the right group of players around him. No one touched Lafleur because of Robinson. The cheapshots might have been rampant though. As another poster stated, his strength and conditioning was likely better than most NHLer's so he could probably handle the bodychecking. But the NHL season is a long grind. There is also the clash of cultures issue. The first Russians to come over had some problems adjusting to North American life. It's really hard to say how disciplined a player coming out of that system could be. Bure did fine. Krutov lived at 7-11.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote