Thread: Proposal: Penguins - Bolts
View Single Post
02-11-2013, 04:21 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
How in the world is Connolly better than Kunitz?

Love Connolly, and he may very well be one day, but not today,
Kunitz is certainly the more refined and well rounded NHL player, but Connolly brings much more skill. Kunitz is the better NHL'er today, but I don't think it'll be long before the tables turn. Connolly brings a lot of the same intangibles that Kunitz does as well, he just needs more time to develop them at the NHL level. He's a powerforward with elite skill, thats why he's so highly touted.

Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
He probably wouldn't bring the physical aspects that Kunitz brings, but I think he'd bring a much better skill-set, shooting and would be able to handle the puck more than three seconds without giving it up to the other team. Than Kunitz does today. This is something Crosby really needs on his line.

Was it really that great of a trade? Aulie just seems to be a bottom pairing defense man to me. He does bring a physical dimension to your blue-line though.
I agree with the first part, but comparing him to Kunitz is irrelevant, it should be to Boychuk or Tangradi; the other current top 6 options.

Aulie for Ashton might not have been a great trade, but anytime you trade an AHL 3rd liner for a solid and serviceable young bottom pairing NHL d man, its a pretty good trade. Both players are still young and have room to improve, but as of now it looks like the Bolts got a servicable player for an minor leaguer.. Its a similar concept as my proposed trade with lesser peices though; team with weak d pool and stocked forward pool trades forward for d to team with weak forward but solid d.

long term forward core:

Fill in the right peices, with a number 1 d man in Letang, and that group contends every year IMO.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote