View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
The fact that the guy ended up in the press box for a while is totally justified and he should stay there until somebody else deserves to take his place. He has not begun the season well at all. That said, I believe Boyler is one of the better defensive centers in the game and can also chip in with about 40 points in a full season. He is incredibly valuable to this organization from a penalty killing, defensive work against the other team's best players, and the occasional offensive hot streak perspective. With the scorers this team possesses, Boyler is NOT expected to chip in consistently, but instead provide secondary offense from time to time. I am not sure what you guys expect from a defensive center who plays against the other team's best offensive players, but up until this season, he has typically produced exactly what I look for. If you are looking for 60 points from Boyle, I believe you want a top six player on the third line. Yes, that would make the New York Rangers unbeatable, but virtually no teams in the league have the luxury of having that kind of player on their third line. And if they do, he is usually a defensive liability or not used against other team's top players the way a checking center should be.

The one piece of his game that MUST improve is in the dot. He needs to win 60% of his faceoffs. It seems like every draw he takes in the defensive zone is lost and causes half of the blocked shots that he or Cally or Danny have to lay down and take damage for.
I look at defense as the ability to limit good scoring chances against your goalie. The best way to
Do that is puck possession in the other team's zone. This is where boyle fails miserably. When he's on the ice we spend most of that time defendIng largely because of his poor skills. Our 4th line looked great last night because they weren't running around in their own zone trying to break up passes and blocking shots which describes most of BB's shifts. People see this as good defense. I see it as bad hockey.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote