02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
1st and a 3rd, actually.
They got a 2nd and 3rd back, so I don't think that was a terrible trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post

But how...? Name me 3 teams who have a quality NHL team and strong organisational depth without extended periods of poor performance. Detroit? Sure. Let's look at the other teams who've made the play-offs for the last 5 years though...

Boston - Ranked 19th. They're as good on the ice with Chara as we'd be with Pronger.
Washington - Ranked 18th. Sucked for years when they were able to draft Ovechkin and Backstrom and build their team around it.
Pittsburgh - See above. It's a lot easier to keep hold of picks when you're handed generationals like Crosby and Malkin.
San Jose - Ranked 24th.

We've had one top-5 pick in a decade, and it was in the worst draft in years. If we'd tanked in Crosby's year then I guarantee we'd have a lot more prospects in the farm right now.
Boston wasn't bad for extended periods. They haven't missed the playoffs more than two consecutive years since expansion. They were eternally mediocre until Sinden left, and then got past long-time assistant Mike O'Connell, who was the one who traded away their franchise player. Sound familiar? The Bruins got it together when they hired someone from outside the organization.