View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Open Ice

vCash: 500
I hear what you all are saying about Cheevers over Thomas, I just think that in this day and age, retired numbers come with pomp and circumstance "SUPERSTAR NIGHT" Gala event type deals that NESN can get sexy for and people can spend multiple paychecks on tickets. There are multiple generations that never saw Cheevers play. Unless they get the complete 70's glory year teams to come out, I mean, even then, Cheevers, god love him, doesn't have the cache that a Thomas does. "Gerry Cheevers Night" vs. "Tim Thomas Night," I know that's a incredibly cheap and cynical comparison, but my guess is 'what have you done for me lately' wins the posterity battle for #30.

(I know he probably burned bridges like a mother****er on the way out, so maybe this is all moot, but in 5 years from now? Water under the bridge?)

They should have had Gerry Cheevers Night while Thomas was still on the team so that Thomas could skate over and pull off the 30 jersey to reveal the 300 jersey complete with strap for deer hunting rifle, and hooks for grenades on the shoulder pads.

I want a Bruins Hall of Fame. Screw the retired numbers. Let them both have the honored spots on the Greatest B's Goaltenders of All Time Wall.

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote