Old
02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Technically nowhere near what iD managed but the original was the creepiest damn thing I've ever played. Best pacing of any game as well.

I'm about 40% of the way in, and it's technically the best of the 3. Story has turned him into a total whiny ***** though. It's a good 3rd person shooter, but they dumbed down a lot of stuff. All ammo is the universal, there's a ridiculously overpowered gun creation system that you can break easily, it removes a lot of the tension from the game - no more "I'm down to nothing but 5 rounds of ammo for this gun I suck with" moments. Also, there are times when you're clearly safe. I'll let you know how it goes but so far it's the weakest experience of the 3 as far as a horror game, and the best as far as a 3rd person action shooter.

I wanted the horror though.
That's a little disappointing. What I liked about Dead Space was the horror factor. Not just the cheap startling horror, but the psychological horror of having to manage ammo, not really being cut out for close quarters, and the sounds(with the soundtrack) of something always being close that kept you on edge. There were some similarities to System Shock 2 that I really liked.