View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Initial response : really not ten tries. After all, discounting Hertl and Coyle is only fair since it is too early to tell.

Hannan in 97 - hit
Cheechoo (would be a first round pick today) in 98 - hit
Jillson (kind of) - bust
Goc - middling-to-hit; certainly his performance outside of SJ would suggest this
Morris - Injury problems; I give Burke a pass here
Bernier - middling
Kaspar - bust
Wishart - bust
Petrecki - bust
Coyle - too early to tell
Hertl - too early to tell

So of the 9 selections (as I have included Cheechoo), he has Hannan and Cheechoo as strong hits, Bernier and Goc as moderate hits, and Jillson, Kaspar, Wishart, and Petrecki as the busts.

Actually, that isn't a very encouraging record. Mostly, because the majority of busts have come in the most recent picks. This points to an organizational ideolgical mistake. I can point out Kaspar (size) and Wishart/Petrecki (defensive defensemen with size are never ideal first-round-picks). Even Bernier is not that great considering he was picked in a very strong draft class...
Cheechoo does not count as a hit for a mid-to-late first because he was a 2nd round pick. The reason why you can't make the argument that he would be a first round pick and a hit for the Sharks is because if he was a 1st round pick, it wasn't going to be the Sharks picking him. He simply doesn't count.

Goc is a miss for the expectations of this particular area. First round picks that convert should be top six forwards or top four d-men. Otherwise, your expectation levels of these picks are too low. Goc is a bust in this regard but he had a lot more promise than most gave him credit for and the Joe Thornton trade essentially killed that hope.

Morris was an injury-riddled player even before the Sharks picked him but they took that chance and it burned them. There's no pass for that to me.

Bernier is a 4th liner. A failure for his expectations which was a top line power forward at his best and more realistically a 2nd line power forward like Clowe but that was a bust.

As for Coyle, it is too early to tell on the whole of it but from the Sharks' perspective, it's a waste as he is gone now. His bust or boom status is not one you can credit the Sharks for anymore because they aren't developing him.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote