Enough with the Montreal Media excuses
View Single Post
07-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Originally Posted by
I think your comparing oranges and apples.
1) Baseball is a no cap sport.(So the yankess can get all the best players everytime they want)
2) NYC is the biggest sport market in the world.
3) Does the rangers get reconized in the street? Maybe Jagr, but beside that no. Fans still spot Oleg Petrov over here!
4) Compare the rangers to the habs, not the habs to the yankees, since the yankees are not in competition with the habs.
5) Montreal, Toronto are the 2 biggest hockey market imo, with big media pressure. So the Florida Panthers vs Montreal Habs is a valid argument.
6) Montreal media is special because its French, if you dont know the french culture its hard to understand. Plus in Quebec theres some political ramification to this culture.
First off, I grew up in Montreal and am married to a Quebecoise from Rimouski, so I know about the politics and language issues. I think comparing the Yankees in NY is much more apt than to the Florida Panthers, for just that reason. A Yankee can't go anywhere here without fans, papparazzi, etc following them. I think the cap issue is also not valid; first off, people on this board have been saying that players who are offered the same money by the Habs and another city choose the other city, in part because of the media attention. Second thing, the NFL has a brutal cap and the best players want to play in the biggest media markets. As for the Francophone issue, it boggles my mind. Latino baseball players are flocking to play with the Mets, who have a large Latino fan base. I don't buy the idea that Francophone players run from the attention. Has so much changed in a couple of generations; I recall a few guys by the names of Richard, Beliveau, Lafleur, etc who seemed to be able to thrive in the spotlight of MTL. They didn't run crying to a smaller market because of media pressures.
Last edited by BJG: 07-07-2006 at
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by BJG