View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
You're failing to recognize the team's needs though. If the offense (Giroux in particular), would play up to par, we wouldn't need JVR. We did need help on defense, so we dealt a position of strength for a weakness. Could we have gotten more for JVR? That's debatable, but it wouldn't have been anything more than a mid round pick. We could have kept JVR, but we would be the same team from last year, scoring more and playing horrendous defense.
I disagree regarding what we could have gotten for JVR. We sold at his lowest possible value. If he had a good month here we could've gotten some value for him at the deadline. Bringing the Schenns together is the x-factor in it I guess, but that motive didn't really do it for me. I guess there's no sense getting myself all annoyed about it now. At least Luke is turning out to be a decent D-man.

I appreciate your point regarding team needs, but I would disagree that I failed to recognize it. I just have a different philosophy I suppose. You start to tailor your trade to team needs when youre gearing up for title contention. When you're still a player or two away you don't lose trades just to band-aid areas of need. And we don't have a cup calibre team. The D and net minding haven't been bad. Our offense needs a spark, so even with the team argument in mind, you could make a case for having kept JVR. That is a bit misleading though IMO, as I think a good puck mover besides Kimmo is really what we are missing at the moment. When Mezsaros is healthy and paired with a guy like Coburn I think he fills that role well enough, but his health hasn't ever been somehting that can be depended on.

I personally feel that a Schenn-lite player could have been signed in free agency or traded for and we would not have felt the difference as much as we are missing a healthy JVR's game right now. I do recognize this isn't JVR's first streak however, so this line of thinking may bite me in the ass, but I'll just have to see.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote