View Single Post
Old
02-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Capn, have you no respect for Mayor's private life? He's gonna be up until 5am now.

However the rankings work out, XGMDM will always appear to be the bigger failure because he tried so hard to hit it out of the park so often and failed. Howson's drafting is more small ball, but IMO, the end result is a better body of work, if not a sexy one. That's what I see, anyway. Not perfect, but better, nonetheless.
The question we must always ask about MacLean is this: "What was the plan?"

Now, I will give MacLean credit for having to handle a unique set of circumstances from 2000-04 (five drafts), which is that overage European players had to be drafted rather than simply signed as free agents. And obviously no one wants to be stuck having wasted a pick on a European player who is quite content in the SM-Liiga or something, and thus have nothing to show for it.

But that doesn't explain why the 2000 draft included a pick on Petteri Nummelin, who was 28 years old at the time and had just finished his 8th season at the highest levels of European pro hockey. Had MacLean simply eschewed drafting overage Europeans, then we'd have some idea of what he was trying to do. But drafting Nummelin means that we must also look at drafting Ben Knopp ahead of Mikael Tellqvist (21 at the time and just played in the SEL). It means that we have to consider Los Angeles picking up Lubomir Visnovsky (24), or taking Shane Bendera over Roman Cechmanek (29), or Peter Zingoni over Lubomir Sekeras (31).

We have no idea what MacLean's plan was, or if there was one. There was enough experienced European talent and enough productive NHLers in the expansion draft to have made this a very good team right off the bat. If he didn't want to do that but wanted to draft well and grow slowly, then the scattershot method of drafting was the worst thing possible.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote