Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'd be very interested in two things:
  • An evaluation of whether or not the players in question were actually any good on the ice when MacLean was putting them in (given his reputation for rushing folks), and
  • A similar evaluation of the drafting ability of guys like Mike Milbury and Ken Holland - y'know, so we can have an idea of where such things fall.
This is why simply going off games played is only slightly meaningful. It's a lens that finds Mike Rupp to have been as good a pick as Ryan Suter because both have 500 NHL games. No consideration for who else was on the board, what caliber player was actually picked, or anything else like that.

We can go by All-Stars drafted, which would be a bit more meaningful. It wouldn't be perfect by any means, since good second-liners don't usually make the ASG, but it's another piece to a larger puzzle.

Doug MacLean: 1 (Rick Nash)
Don Waddell (a dismal drafter as well): 3 (Dany Heatley, Ilya Kovalchuk, Tobias Enstrom), plus three more players better than Dougie's second-best pick of Klesla (Braydon Coburn, Kari Lehtonen, Ondrej Pavelec. I could argue for Bryan Little as well, but that's just laboring the point.)

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote