View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
On a related note, since MB brought it up recently, I thought I'd mention Craig Patrick's 16 year draft history as the General Manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Take a good look at that list, folks. With the exception of Jagr and the last 4, Patrick wasn't picking in the top 10 and still managed to get some decent NHL contributors and in the case of Orpik, Straka and Naslund, some pretty damn good players. Anyone who wants to run our GM's track records against that, be my guest.
Let's take a look at Round 2, in 16 years.
Richard Park and Alex Goligoski are the only two to play 100 NHL games (17 picks)
Round 3: Kris Letang, Dan Carcillo, Erik Christensen, Josef Melichar, J-S Aubin, Sven Butenschon, Dave Roche, and Joe Dziedzic all had 100 NHL games. Letang's the only one who's provided anything beyond a third pairing, third line, or backup goalie. (23 picks)
Round 4: Chris Tamer, Michal Rozsival, Ryan Malone, Michel Ouellet, Tomas Surovy, Paul Bissonnette, and Tyler Kennedy all hit 100 games. (16 picks)
Round 5: Jan Hrdina, Rob Scuderi, and David Koci had 100 games. Koci is/was completely useless.
Round 6: Patrick Lalime and Ian Moran had 100 games.
Round 7: Serge Aubin, Tom Kostopoulos
Round 8: Andrew Ference, Maxime Talbot
Round 9: Toby Petersen, Matt Moulson (didn't sign, lost him for nothing)
Round 10: None
Round 11: Hans Jonsson
Round 12: None

Now, these are all for merely 100 games. Let's break it down by levels, for Rounds 2-12.

250-499 games - Ian Moran, Patrick Lalime, Serge Aubin, Josef Melichar, Toby Petersen, Maxime Talbot, Erik Christensen, Matt Moulson, Dan Carcillo, Tyler Kennedy, Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski
500-749 games - Chris Tamer, Jan Hrdina, Rob Scuderi, Ryan Malone, Tom Kostopoulos
750-999 games - Michal Rozsival, Andrew Ference,
1000+ games - None

All-Stars - Patrick Lalime (1), Kris Letang (2)

To briefly hit on the first-rounders.
- We all know the story with Fleury, Staal, Crosby, and Malkin
- Jagr fell to 5th. There's a story that Vancouver (picking 2nd) interviewed the top prospects and asked them all, "If you were in our place, who would you draft?" ALL of them said Jagr. Vancouver took Petr Nedved. There was also fear that Jagr would have to serve in the Czechoslovakian Army.
- Naslund fell. He was projected to be a top-10 pick, but drafting European players was still in its infancy. Europeans in the first round of 1991 were Peter Forsberg, Naslund, Alexei Kovalev, Martin Rucinsky, and Niklas Sundblad (drafted by Calgary, so doomed to failure). The second round had Ziggy Palffy, Sandis Ozolinsh, Jozef Stumpel, and Martin Hamrlik (drafted by Hartford, which was worse than Calgary).
- Straka was 20 years old when he was drafted, taken three spots after Dmitri Kvartalnov (who was 26).
- Good for Brooks Orpik.

My point isn't to bury Patrick. He's a damned good hockey mind, but to act like he had a sterling draft record with Pittsburgh outside of the top-5 isn't backed up by anything. There's a lot of depth players, a lot of guys who never came close to the NHL, and a couple who turned out nicely.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote