View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Whereas I completely agree with MPF on Letang, I have always disagreed that we are that far off other teams as regards depth.

Take the Hawks.... the league's best team at present.
They had Andrew Shaw, Brian Bickell, Jamall Myers, Marcus Kruger and Victor Stalberg in the lineup last game. You can add Michael Frolik who few here wanted when I suggested that we should take a flyer on him to add skill, and then there's rookie Brandon Saad. That's 7 of 12 forwards who are certainly not elite.

Top6 forward quality:
Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland
Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Sutter (could be second line C on many teams)

Surely the remaining Chicago players have a few more who can stickhandle, but we are more or less talking one addition on the Pens who is more handsy and more of a skill player to give us the same kind of balance on paper. Dupuis and Cooke last year outscored pretty much anything any of the remaining Hawks forwards have ever done, and Kennedy in PPG terms is very close to being on paper the best of the bunch on the Hawks.

We have 10 million dollars in cap-room and the Hawks have 4.4, so we should have ample room to touch up.

We are basically in a situation where we are one top6 forward short of having the same situation as the Hawks. Ie. one complete line and one line where two elite players are making due with a 'third wheel'.
And if we get that I doubt many/most here wouldn't consider our bottom 6 stronger and more playoff styled than that of the Hawks.

The much bigger difference is that Hawks play a much smoother, more varied and polished brand of hockey. I refuse to believe that this is not primarily because we limit ourselves through the system/breakouts/offensive zone set plays our coach demands.

NB: This is not saying that we don't need another top6 forward, or that it wouldn't be be great getting two. Just that we have too much quality already to accept that we can only play decent looking hockey if opponents fail at restricting time and space for our superstars.

Last edited by Tender Rip: 02-12-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote