View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
i'm not sure how it works in NFLD, or where this kid is from, but i've been involved in hockey at a coaching and scouting capacity for the past 15yrs in NB. There seems to be lots of preferential treatment in hockey in NB. Depending who's your parents, depending on who's summer camps you've attended....who's hockey school you have attended, seems to all play in decisions on who makes AAA teams. Some kids who were great in Atom and played for all the right summer teams, are in midget AAA. Most are absolutely good enough, but, there are some that are left out and think they deserve a better outcome and they go looking for it elsewhere.

I agree with you, most are not better develloped elsewhere. I'm of the opinion that you can have the greatest coaches in the world and the greatest facilities in the world, but, in the end the player alone will decide how they progress. You can't teach work ethic. you can preach it, but you can't teach it.
Agreed, you make some good points there. If a player is a good player, and doesn't have a local option to play Major Midget, it makes sense. I know in Moncton that was the case for probably a couple of kids this year.

What about Bantam age players? We had a couple leave last year and the year before from Moncton, and Fredericton and Saint John had a few elect to go with something other than Bantam AAA. From what I have seen, they aren't any further ahead than the kids that stayed in Bantam. I guess if you have a spare $40000 laying around you might do it, I kind of wonder if it isn't more about status than hockey.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote