View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Two things. One, if management thinks this team is ready for a major run in the playoffs they're delusional,
I doubt they see a Cup run in this season, but they obviously think this team can make the playoffs. That has been the goal since the offseason. And for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in as long as this team has, just making the playoffs is a big step. A big step financially and for reviving fan interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Number two, IF the team is trying to win and go deep in the playoffs this season they have got to be realistic about analyzing the play of their own players. Even with Larsen taking a few too many penalties he has added more to this team positively than he's taken away, and he adds more to the overall mix on defense than some concoction without him. Larsen helps this team win on any given night more than Robidas can at this point in his career, especially if he were given Robidas' PP minutes, which he's doing nothing with.

If a GM who wants to win now and wants to continue developing its young player, a guy they've invested a lot of time and effort into bringing along, has any balls he would trade the underachieving veteran to make way for the younger, more promising player. Larsen is flat out a better player than Robidas. If you disagree then there's not much more to discuss because we're too far apart in how we view the players.
Larsen isn't flat out better. If he was, he would be playing. I am ready to move on from Robidas and give his spot to Larsen, but as long as Robidas is on the team, I can understand why he is playing. It's the same decision every coach would make.

As for the bolded part, I think that is overstating things a little. The defense is not better if Larsen plays over Dillon, Daley, Oleksiak, a normal Goligoski, or maybe even Rome.