View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The part you are missing is Bergevin wanted to change the culture from the ****show we saw 2nd half of last year to a lot more accountability.

THAT is why he brought in guys like Prust Armstrong Bouillon. Those are guys he knows will go to battle every night. Bringing in a guy like Semin doesn't accomplish that, he's always been known to play when he feels like it. A guy like taht is fine if your team core is already built and your ship is already on the right course, then he is more likely to follow. But if you are trying to right a ship that was off course, he may not be the best option.

PLUS one thing people are not considering, with the new CBA eliminating the "burying" on contracts, the Gomez one would have made it hard to sign Semin for 7 mil for 1 year.
The crap storm that happened last year was due to management and media, not the players.
Gauthier's antics created a media zoo, and then the coaching didn't help him at all. RC coached this team like one would for a peewee team. He seemed completely lost behind the bench. Absolutely clueless.
Not to mention, we had a bunch of injuries that didn't help our team.

Otherwise, it's the same players on our team.

Semin's reputation, as I said, is overblown. You should know this being a fan of the habs. We have endless examples of media exaggerating on players.

It doesn't matter if Bergevin wants a change in culture. That shouldn't mean no to Semin. We were lacking talent, we still are. At the time, only Eller could be argued capable of skating into the opposing zone deking opponents. Every other player needs to skate on the outside and hopefully beat opponents with speed.
Semin would have been a much needed breath of fresh air.

You don't build a team overnight. So whenever you have a chance to add a building block, you do it. Brick by brick, you'll build a strong team. If Semin doesn't work out, well, who cares, it's only a 1 year deal, in a transitional year. If we wouldn't have signed him because he asked for too much cash, then okay, I can understand that. If it's an attitude thing, then okay, talk to the player, if he looks to have his head screwed on properly, good, if not, then you move on.
The problem I have is that Bergevin wasn't interested at all. That's the main issue seeing how Semin would fill a void.

As for the culture change. Armstrong is useless, I'd have taken Darche over him.
Both him and Bouillon are likely gone by next year. I don't see what change they make. Prust is a good addition but overpaid.