Thread: Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Stretch Factor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
All are solid prospects, and will go at various levels of the draft.

Max Domi is small, shifty, good, quick hands, second to none compete level. Hits, forechecks hard, goes to the difficult areas and works. Size is always a concern for a player of his style, a question that will plague him until he proves otherwise. Could be a Martin St. Louis type of player, with the right mix of nasty and skill. Also, he looks strikingly like his dad.

Adam Erne is a guy that piques my interest for this franchise. He's a quality player in every aspect, and could be very high on some teams' lists. Good size, good all around player ... could be a good second line forward in the NHL. Not a ton of risk with this guy either, should be an NHL player on some level.

Anthony Mantha is an attractive player because of his size. Good hands around the net, a natural goal scorer, and can play in all three zones. Plays the game like Corey Perry or (sue me) Rick Nash; though may not have the same ceiling. A hard guy to get a feel for, but 42 goals in 51 games so far is nothing to shake a stick at ... could go much higher than people are giving notice to.

Frederik Gauthier is another hulking power forward, but plays more of a two-way game than Mantha. I don't see the scoring potential here that a lot of other people mention, but he could be a decent prospect to play on a third line in the future. He's a +24 in 46 games, so the shutdown potential is certainly there. Maybe a Jordan Staal type of player as a high ceiling, but more than likely won't ever put up huge numbers.

Kerby Rychel is a (primarily) offensive minded winger that could be a boom or bust type of pick. Should be one of the last picks in the first round; a nice second line scoring prospect, similar to a guy the Blues have named Ty Rattie. Not a dominant forward, but with good talent around him, a potential 25/25 or maybe 30/30 forward, if developed properly.

Nic Petan is a guy that I've watched WAY too much over the last 2+ years . People around here love to hate the Portland Winterhawks, but Petan is a guy that any hockey fan has to love to watch. I wasn't expecting such a huge breakout year from him as a 17 year old, but there is no way you can turn away from a guy leading the WHL in scoring at such a young age. Diminutive, but shifty and hard to hit, and has good protection from the muscle throughout the Hawks lineup. When he has space, he's creative and doesn't make many mistakes. Gets pucks through when it seems like they shouldn't, and has a good shot that catches goalies off guard. Battles in traffic, goes to the right areas, and has a high compete level. Really, has been the surprise of the season for me in the WHL. Will remind a lot of people of Matt Calvert; but may have higher offensive potential. Might be able to get this guy as late as the third round.
Thanks SL, I appreciate the well written response.

With four picks in the top 30ish, I'd like to see us take one gamble on a guy. Maybe Domi or Petan is that guy. Someone who has a high ceiling, but there's some risk. I'm hearing Domi is like his dad, but with more offensive skill. That's exactly the type of player I like for this team.