Thread: Great Britain: EPIHL and NIHL discussion thread
View Single Post
Old
02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
mattski93
Poo Brain

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Basingstoke simply ran out of money and reputable owners, with so many EPL sides near them dropping was their best option and they've done well out of it. Manchester? No idea. I'm not sold on the idea that they weren't competitive; in their last EIHL season they reached both Cup finals and had the best record in the league through October, it was only the loss of Dwight Parrish and a glut of injuries over Christmas and the tail end of the season that derailed them. Money? Nah, travel costs are more and their crowds have dropped every season since moving (inversely proportional to ticket prices). Desire to win something in a city built on sporting success? Maybe, but with their resources that should have gone better.

The interests of the national team aren't taken into consideration at a league level; Team GB is a mere nuisance. I don't know what the ideal structure is, but a single governing body who all the clubs are answerable to without question would be a massive leap forward. Your 'self-correction' theory is one I subscribe to; start everyone at the same level and you'd soon see who would belong at the top.

mattski93 is offline   Reply With Quote